Ahaadeeth and Sunnats of Traveling
Who should be made the leader of the group
29.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : “When you are traveling, make the most learned person amongst you, the Imaam.”
[Hazrat Abu Hurairah (RA) ]
- Since the most learned person would be the Imaam, he would also be the leader of the group.
- Such a person should be made the leader, who is best in conduct, easy in his approach, and one who gives preference to others above himself.
- Whilst having good character, the leader should also be intelligent and experienced, magnanimous and selfless.
- He should not be harsh and arrogant.
- The true leader is one who serves his companions.
30.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : ‘When three people are traveling, one should be selected as the Amir (leader)’.
[Hazrat Abu Sa`eed (RA) - Mishkaat / Sunan Abu Dawood]
31.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : “When anyone is on a journey, he should select somebody to be the Amir.”
[Sayyedena Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA) ]
- Mulla Ali Qaari (Rahmatullah ‘alayh) has written that even if two people are traveling, one should be selected to be the Amir.
- When few people are traveling together, one should be made the Amir. This is a Sunnah practice. The rest of the travelers should abide by the directives and opinions of the leader. Should any difference of opinion arise, they could resort to the decision of the Amir.
Extracted from Ash-Shamaa`il al Kubra
[The Sublime Conduct of Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) Volume 3]