Ahaadeeth and Sunnats of Traveling
16.) A person came to Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) and informed Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) that he was departing on a business journey to Bahrayn. Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) instructed him to perform two rakaats of Salaah (before departing).
[Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Mas`ud (RA)]
17.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : “A person cannot leave a better substitute for his family than the two rakaats of Salaah that he performs before departing.”
[Hazrat Mut`im Ibn Miqdam (RA)].
- It is narrated that whenever Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA) left his home for a journey, he would always proceed to the Masjid and perform two rakaats of Salaah.
- It is Sunnah to perform 2 or 4 rakaats of Salaah when departing for a journey. This action contains many benefits and blessings.
- Imam Nawawi (Rahmatullah ‘alayh) has written that a person should recite Surah Kaafiroon in the first rakaat and Surah Ikhlaas in the second rakaat.
- Others view that Surah Falaq and Surah Naas in the respective rakaats.
- After making Salaam, one should read Ayatul Kursi. A narration mentions that the person who reads Ayatul Kursi before departing will be saved from every unpleasant thing until his return.
Extracted from Ash-Shamaa`il al Kubra
[The Sublime Conduct of Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) Volume 3]