Ahaadeeth and Sunnats of Traveling
Traveling in Ramadaan
11.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) set out for Makkah Mukarramah in the month of Ramadaan, whiles he was fasting. Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) made Iftaar at a place known as Kadid.
[Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Abbaas (RA)- Sahih Bukhari]
Note: There is no reprehension in traveling in the month of Ramadaan. The traveler is at liberty to fast in that state or make up for the missed fasts later on.
Traveling on a Friday
12.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : ‘The day of Jumu’ah does not forbid traveling, as long as the time of Salaah does not set in.’
[Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA) ]
- Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) commenced a journey on a Friday, at the time of Salaat-Dhuha, prior to the Jumu’ah Salaah.
[Ibn Shihaab (Rahmatullah ‘alayh)]
- Imam Hasan Basri (Rahmatullah ‘alayh) said that there is nothing wrong with traveling on a Friday as long as the time for Jumu`ah does not set in.
- Sayyidah Ayesha (RA) narrated that if the time of Salaah sets in, one should not set out on a journey before performing Jumu’ah Salaah.
- Allamah Shami (Rahmatullah ‘alayh) has written that since Jumu’ah only becomes obligatory on a person once the sun reaches its zenith [i.e. zawaal], it would be permissible to commence a journey and leave one’s town prior to that time setting in.
It is better to travel at night
13.) Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam) said : “Travel at night as the earth folds up during the night.”
[Hazrat Anas Ibn Maalik (RA) - Sunan Abu Dawood].
- Distances are covered easily at night. The night shelters against the heat of the sun and other inconveniences of the day. Traffic is less during the night.
Extracted from Ash-Shamaa`il al Kubra
[The Sublime Conduct of Nabi (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi waSallam)Volume 3]